Monday, November 3, 2008

Last Homestay Weekend

This weekend was our last with a homestay family for those of us who will be living independently from now on. I had a wonderful time with my family.  We went to a 16th birthday party, which reminded me a lot of a bat mitzvah party.  we went to a hall and there were set tables with catered buffet style food.  Her parents gave toasts as did a good friend of hers and an older cousin.  Then, after the meal there was a dance party! It was really fun and the family tried to show me some traditional Indian dance moves.  
All week we had been watching Bollywood movies and during the dance party some of the movie songs played. I was really excited that I recognized them.  
The previous night, our much older -but still single - brother took us to a casino.  It was very similar to the US, I assume, I have only been to a casino in Atlantic City.  It was interesting to see who seemed to have money to gamble, and how popular gambling seemed even amongst populations I have been taught are very likely poorer.   
 On Sunday, I watched some Cricket (strange game) with Andres at another of our relatives' houses.  Then I went to a prayer said over a new place of business, it was really nice - we did libation type things to the deities, I wasn't sure if I should participate or not but everyone was kissing and greeting me like I was family so I just went along with what my sister did.  Afterwards there was a lot of food (AGAIN - I have never eaten so much under such pressure before in my life) but it was all delicious, so whatever.  Its hard to say no when you are a guest and the family wants to show you the best of a culture they really love.   
anyway, now we are preparing to move into our new ISP accomidations and I am excited although it is a little anxiety producing to be all on your own and have to produce such a significant body of work at the end of it.  Hopefully all will be great, also I have to meet with my advisor on friday which means finding my own way to Pietermaritzburg, also thats the day all these other papers are due, so I will just have to work ahead.  

missing you and much love
Adina  

No comments: