Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Election Day and New Housing

Kim and I moved into our new accommodations at a cute hostel.  It is called Thekwini and we have a long term apartment there. We have also begun running everyday which is challenging but when I wake up sore the next day it is incredibly rewarding.  

The ISP proposals were returned and many people had to revise, including me.  While this was a bit discouraging I think mostly the 'trouble' with my project is that so little research has been done it is hard to predict what will be found and thus it is difficult to determine how much information I should try to discover to equal the amount of data needed to have a successful paper completed.  Amongst those who needed to reconsider some details of their project there is another girl who had been staying in our hostel and was intending to go to Capetown.  Her trip to Capetown was not approved so she will remain in Durban.  Since she had not planned housing and our apartment was bigger than expected, she has moved in with us.  

Yesterday, we all went to but a cookbook and Kim and I are going to make delicious meals together.  I am really hoping to learn to make pasta from scratch and maybe some other types of bread.  I also want to practice some of the recipes I learned from living with my host families.  

Finally, on to the election.  This morning I woke up to text messages that Obama had won! I was so excited! We were invited to the consulate to watch the late night US coverage in real time and I made it there in time to hear most of Obama's acceptance speech.  Most all the students on my trip were supporters and many of us were in tears when we addressed those beyond the shores of the US.  It was a fun experience and the new consul general of Durban was a really sweet woman.  The consulate has an extensive library open to the public and one of its major strengths is the volume of works about HIV/Aids.  This will really help many students with their ISPs.  We took pictures with a cardboard cutout of Obama and the consul general.  that was really fun and their photographers said they would send the pictures along.  The food was also delicious, as they hosted a delightful breakfast for those who attended.  while it was sad not to be at Wesleyan or in Chicago, it was a historic moment no matter where you were in the world.  Also it was so COOL to see how happy and excited the South African community (in general) seemed to be.  Hopefully their reaction is indicative of the rest of the world's feelings about the election.  

The major change this week is that now we are planning our own time and working at our own pace on projects.  We have a research paper due on friday, though I also have to meet with my ISP advisor so I am hoping to finish early.  But the extensive research for ISP is beginning and while it seems challenging I think it will be so FUN and also so rewarding.  

Thanks for tuning in 
Adina      

No comments: