Monday, October 20, 2008

Last Full Weekend With My Host-family

This weekend we wanted to do something cool with my sister so Kim and I decided to walk to a nearby flea-market that is up and coming from women in our area.  We walked for a while, in my sister's eyes, and when we finally got there - it was NOT there.  The sign was there but the flea market wasn't.  We talked to AKAY, the Taxi driver, on the phone and he said that if it was a slow day maybe the ladies went home around lunch.  It was a fun walk and then we bought some snacks on the way home, so I think overall it was a cool trip.  Also, my sisters and Kim's sisters have become friends and that makes me really happy!
Otherwise the SIT students went to a really cool poetry event on Saturday night.  It was definately on of my highlights of the trip.  There were two Jamaican reggae lyrics-writers and performers, it was a cool experience and the poetry was really moving.  It was at a very different rhythm than a lot poetry I had heard before and also due to their reggae roots there was a lot of singing.  I really enjoyed the whole experience.  Also we learned about a drum circle there on tuesday nights that sounds amazing!

All in all it was a pretty good weekend, 
much love
 Adina   

No comments: