Monday, September 15, 2008

The South Coast

Hello again - 
This week the homework is going to start piling on so the previous weekend we went to the south coast.  We stayed at this adorable lodge called the merry crab it was right off the beach and I could see the water from my window, also my roommates saw monkeys out our windows.  
We went on a long walk (around 4-5 miles) that began on the beach and continued up through some of the sets used to film Blood Diamond and then into a rural-ish village where we met a traditional healer.  

The walk on the beach was beautiful but very windy and there were petrified trees and other fossils to see but I was not sure how reliable our guide was.  Then we walked through beautiful scenery (ask to see the pictures when I get back) and places where blood diamond was filmed (we also filmed a few short re-enactments) it was really cool, even though we I had never seen the movie

then we saw the sanguwoma. In this case it was a woman, actually two, who danced and burned some plants to make the room very smokey and call forth the spirits.  it was really interesting and like nothing I had ever seen before - but it was a little frightening because when the spirit moves into these women they begin to wobble and fall over, potentially right onto me.  

A very interesting weekend!
until next time
Adina 

No comments: